Ancestors of Bryce Stewart Gordon

Notes


8290. Sir William Claiborne

William Claiborne was Secretary of State of Virginia from 1652 - 1660). He came to America on the GEORGE in 1621.

Plaque at Jamestown:
To The Glory Of God And To The Honored Memory Of William Claiborne Son of Thomas Cleyborne of Crayford, Kent, Gentleman, and Sara Smith-James. Born 1587. Settled in Virginia 1621. Member of Council 1625 - 60. Treasurer 1642 - 50. Deputy Governor 1653. Commanded Expeditions Against the Indians 1629 - 1644. At Kent Island He Made The First Settlement Within The Present Boundary of Maryland.

1617 (Boddie) He was student at Pembroke College, Cambridge. October WILLIAM CLAIBORNE Arrived at Jamestown to assume his appointmentas 1621 surveyor for the Virginia Colony.
March until 1637, and again 1652-1660 WILLIAM CLAIBORNE was Secretaryof State for Virginia. He later became Treasurer and then, Deputy Governor of the colony. He patented ma---- tracts of Land, boughtKent Island from the Indians and became involved in a dispute with Lord Calvert in his establishment, -- the dispute as to whether Kent Island was to be part of Maryland or Virginia lasting until his death. His name is included in many Virginia documents and records and his historyis well worth studying. His portrait is hanging in the State Capitol at Richmond.

William Claiborne, Or Clayborne
<!--
p.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
margin-left:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-top:0in}
-->CLAIBORNE, or CLAYBORNE, William, colonist, known as "The Evil Genius of Maryland," born in Westmoreland, England, about 1589; died in Virginia about 1676. He was a younger son of a distinguished Westmoreland family, and in 1621 was appointed surveyor of the plantations of Virginia, under the London Company. He arrived at Jamestown in the ship "George," with Sir Francis Wyatt and other members of the new council, in October, 1621, and, escaping the massacre of 22 March, settled at "James City."
He acquired considerable landed estates, amounting, according to the "Land Register of Virginia," to 45,000 acres. On 24 March, 1625, he was commissioned by Charles I as member of the council, and "to be our Secretary of State for the said Collony and Plantation of Virginia." On 17 May, 1626, he and Capt. Samuel Matthews proposed to the privy council in England "to win the forrests of Virginia upon certain conditions," and on 13 March, 1628, he received from Governor John Port his first commission to make discoveries to the southward, and to open trade with the Indians. A similar commission was issued to him by Governor Sir John Harvey, 8 March, 1631, and this was followed by a patent from King Charles I, dated 16 May, 1631, and issued by Sir William Alexander, under the Scotch signet, authorizing him to make discoveries, and granting trading privileges with the Indians "in our colonies of New England and New Scotland."
Having discovered and partially planted and settled the isle of Kent a year before the first patent of Maryland was ever heard of, he, with the aid of William Cloberry, John de la Barre, and other "adventurers," established a trading-post there, and acted as the chief agent of his London partners, Cloberry & County, until displaced by George Evelyn in December, 1636. He purchased the interest of the natives in all the lands that he held in the island of Kent, and collected settlers in such numbers there that, in 1632, they were represented by a burgess in the general assembly of Virginia.
George Calvert, first baron of Baltimore, having failed in his colony of Avalon on Newfoundland from the severity of the climate, sailed southward, with his wife and family and a party of followers, to search for a more propitious climate and a more favorable soil. He arrived at Jamestown in October, 1629, where he was met by the authorities, among whom was Claiborne, with the demand that he should take the oath of supremacy and abjuration before taking up his residence in the colony.
Refusing to submit to these tests, he sailed northward, examining the Chesapeake and its shores. He thence returned to England and procured a charter for the country north of the Potomac and on both sides of the great bay, which was "hactenus inculta" (hitherto uncultivated). The territory granted to Baltimore had been within the original grant to the Virginia company; but, the charter of that corporation having been revoked, the whole subject of the grant was returned to the control of the crown, and in the subsequent charter to Baltimore it was only considered necessary to protect the rights of actual settlers under the Virginia charter by granting such portion of the territory designated as "hactenus inculta."
Therefore, when Baltimore's first colony arrived at St. Mary's in March, 1634, Claiborne had been seated on the isle of Kent for more than three years, and his settlement had been recognized by the admission of the burgess into the Virginia assembly. The Virginians, sustaining Claiborne, naturally claimed the right to the isle of Kent. The Calverts insisted that Claiborne's right was only a license to trade under the Scotch signet, and that from it no right of property in the soil could arise. Claiborne claimed both property right and political independence of Calvert. Calvert asserted sovereignty and title paramount over the isle of Kent, and all settlers thereon.
This issue influenced the history of the two colonies for a generation. It was at first the issue between the Roman Catholics of Maryland and the churchmen of Virginia; then between cavaliers and Puritans, and was never finally settled until Virginia, in her bill of rights in 1776, finally released all claim to the territory of Maryland beyond the Potomac, and executed a conveyance of all the territory northwest of Ohio River in 1781 to the United States. In fact, the mutterings of the old Claiborne quarrel had hardly died out in the Virginia-Maryland boundary arbitration of 1775-'8, which finally settled the disputed Potomac boundary of the two states.
As soon as the new colony was founded on St. Mary's river, the encroachments on the isle of Kent settlement began to be felt. Claiborne's boats and traders plied in and out of the estuaries of the Chesapeake, and the Indian allies of the Calverts at St. Mary's began to show signs of restiveness. The settlers first provided themselves with a blockhouse for defense, and then investigated the cause of trouble.
Claiborne, so the Indians said, declared that the new settlers at St. Mary's were Spaniards, who of necessity were papists and people of despicable traits, and were to be watched and guarded against. Whereupon Leonard Calvert, governor of Maryland, dispatched an expedition under Capt. Thomas Cornwaleys to settle the question of prior settlement and sovereignty with the Kent isle rebel.
Cornwaleys, with his pinnaces, the "St. Helen" and the "St. Margaret," attacked the "Cockatryce," Claiborne's boat, under Lieutenant Ratcliffe Warren, on 23 April, 1635, in Great Wicomico River, and captured both boat and men, after killing Warren and two others; Cornwaleys losing one man killed and several wounded. On 10 May following, Cornwaleys captured another boat belonging to Claiborne, the commander of which, Thomas Smith, escaped.
Claiborne's enterprise on the isle of Kent had proved an utter failure. A fire there destroyed his warehouse of supplies, and his people were reduced to the greatest extremities, being obliged, says the chronicler, "to subsist on oysters." His London partners became satisfied that his affairs required examination. Cloberry & County sent out George Evelyn as their representative, with full power to act for them and take possession of their property.
Claiborne, failing to get a surety of £3,000 from Evelyn and suspecting his intrigue with Calvert, surrendered everything to him, and sailed in 1637 for England, where he was sued by his partners for an account of his proceedings, and was held to answer before the lords commissioners of plantation on a charge of mutiny, preferred by Governor Harvey, of Virginia.
Evelyn seized Kecoughtan and the rest of Claiborne's property in Virginia, and instituted suits, in the name of Cloberry & County, in Baltimore's courts in Maryland against parties on the isle of Kent. At St. Mary's, Evelyn was shown copies of Calvert's charter, and of Claiborne's licenses to trade, which satisfied him as to the question of right, so that in behalf of his principals he acknowledged the authority of Baltimore, and accepted from Leonard Calvert the office of commander of the isle of Kent.
Thus ejected from the isle of Kent, Claiborne purchased from the Indians Palmer's Island at the head of the bay, thinking it to be beyond Baltimore's grant. He then petitioned the king that Baltimore might be restrained from interfering with him, but, despairing of success, offered the king an annual rent of £100 for his lands in the Chesapeake and Susquehanna, and proposed that the crown should grant him a tract of land twelve leagues on each side of Susquehanna river, "from the mouth of said River down the said bay, southerly to the seaward, and to the head of the River and to the great lake of Canada, to be held of the crown at the rent of twelve pounds sterling per annum."
The commissioners of plantation, to whom this application was referred, having become satisfied that Claiborne's license to trade gave him neither title to land nor right to make a settlement, and influenced by the queen, who favored Baltimore, refused his petition for the grant, thus ignoring his discovery and purchase of the land, and referred him to the courts of law for remedy for the wrongs of which he complained.
Notwithstanding Claiborne's departure, and Evelyn's submission to the authorities of St. Mary's, the isle of Kent continued in an insubordinate condition. It was represented in the general assembly of the freemen of Maryland, which was convened .by Leonard Calvert at St. Mary's in February, 1637-'8, by some of the freemen in person, and by Evelyn as proxy for the great body of them. On .the advice of Evelyn, Governor Calvert undertook an expedition in person for the subjection of Kent. He made his campaign within the time marked out, reduced the isle of Kent to obedience, captured Smith, the leader of the affray in the Wicomico some years before, and took possession of Palmer's island, the only remaining post held by Claiborne within the limits of the Maryland charter.
On his return to his capital City of St. Mary's, he reported his proceedings to the general assembly, which had reconvened according to adjournment, and delivered Smith in irons to them. The sheriff forthwith empanelled the whole general assembly as the grand inquest of the province, and they at once found a true bill against the prisoner for piracy and murder. The same body then dissolved itself into a high court of justice, presided over by Governor Calvert, with John Lewger, the attorney general, prosecuting for the proprietary. He was allowed his challenge, according to the course of the common law, and, on being found guilty, after a formal trial, prayed his clergy. The president of the court decided that his prayer had not been made in time, and pronounced sentence of death. He was then executed.
Failing to get possession of his island of Kent, Claibone proposed on 6 June, 1638, that "he and his associates should have a grant for settlement of an island, by them discovered within the company's patent, to be called Rich island, in honor of Earl Holland"; but, this meeting with but little favor, he was made by the king treasurer of the colony of Virginia for life, on 6 April, 1642.
In all the trials of Charles I, Virginia had remained true to the cavalier cause, while the baron of Baltimore was preserving a cautious neutrality, so as to prevent the seizure of his province by either of the powers then contending for supremacy in England.
In 1644 Claiborne reappeared on the isle of Kent, and, exhibiting what he claimed was a royal commission, endeavored to incite resistance to the Roman Catholic authority at St. Mary's. In February, 1645, the Roman Catholic government under Leonard Calvert was overthrown by Capt. Richard Ingle, of the parliament ship "Reformation," professing to act under the authority of the parliament.
All historians unite in charging that Claiborne was a participator or co-operator with Ingle in this attack; but the archives of Maryland fail to prove any such complicity. Ingle took possession of the government in February, 1645, and entered on a career of plunder. Governor Calvert took refuge in Cavalier Virginia, and in December, 1646, returned with a small force and expelled the parliamentarians without a struggle.
The condition of affairs in England, the battle of Marston Moor, the incursion of Ingle, and the restless activity of Claiborne, backed by royal favor, convinced Cecilius Calvert (Lord Baltimore) that to preserve his province he must at once organize it in sympathy with the prevailing sentiment in England. Accordingly, in 1648, he reorganized his government of Maryland, which to that time had been entirely in the hands of Roman Catholics.
His brother, Leonard, had died on 9 June, 1647, and appointed Thomas Green, an ardent cavalier, his successor. The churchmen of Virginia were driving out the non-conformists there, and Lord Baltimore induced Capt. William Stone, one of them, to remove from Northampton County, Virginia, to Maryland, under a contract that Stone would transport 500 of the exiles from Virginia, and receive grants of land according to Baltimore's liberal terms of plantation.
When the news arrived of the execution of the king, Green, in the absence of Stone, immediately proclaimed Charles II as his successor. The general assembly of Virginia was equally prompt in avowing its loyalty, so that in 1650 Maryland and Virginia were the only parts of the British Empire that acknowledged the royal authority.
The opportunity thus afforded was too good to be lost by Claiborne. Exasperated by what he thought the injustice of the court, backed by the influence of the queen and his enemy, Archbishop Laud, he joined the parliamentary party, and on 26 September, 1651, with Richard Bennett and two others, was appointed commissioner by parliament to reduce Virginia and "the plantations within the Chesapeake bay."
The English expedition sent with the commissioners reached Virginia in March, 1652, and overthrew the cavalier government, with Sir William Berkeley at its head, and established a roundhead one, with Richard Bennett for governor, and Claiborne as secretary of state.
As soon as Berkeley was disposed of, Claiborne went to St. Mary's, where he compelled Governor Stone to renounce his allegiance to Lord Baltimore, and to issue all legal process in the names of "the keepers of the liberties of England," in June, 1652. When Cromwell at home dispersed the long parliament, Stone naturally concluded that the "keepers" had gone with their masters, and repudiated the arrangement with Claiborne, whereupon that vigorous adventurer returned with an armed force and deposed Stone, and appointed Capt. William Fuller governor, with a council of Puritan commissioners, so thus, after a struggle of twenty years, Maryland passed under the control of Claiborne.
Starting with a claim under a grant from the king, he now held office under commission of parliament. Writs for an assembly to be held at Patuxent were issued, and they contained the first religious test ever exacted in Maryland. No Roman Catholic could be elected to the general assembly, or vote. The assembly thus obtained repealed the toleration act of 1649, declared that all actual settlers should be entitled to take up land, regardless of any rights of the proprietary.
In January, 1654, Cromwell intervened for the protection of the Roman Catholics and the rights of Lord Baltimore, and wrote to Governor Bennett, of Virginia, forbidding him, or those acting under his authority, from disturbing Lord Baltimore or his officers and people in Maryland.
Encouraged by this support, Baltimore ordered Stone to overthrow the Puritan government, and Stone mustered a force and attacked the Puritans on the Severn, at Annapolis, on 25 March, 1654, where he was defeated and taken prisoner. The Claiborne reqime was thereby firmly established; but the progress of affairs in England again interfered with Claiborne's fortunes.
Lord Baltimore made his peace in some way with the commonwealth in 1656, and the commissioners of plantations decided that he ought not to be molested in his province. In 1658 an agreement was made in London by which it was restored to him, and thus Claiborne finally disappears from the history of Maryland. On the restoration in 1660 he was turned out of his secretaryship of Virginia and from the council, and we hear no more of him until 1675, when, on the death of Cecilius Calvert, who was succeeded by his son, Charles, third baron of Baltimore, Claiborne presented a petition to the king in council praying for the redress of his many wrongs at the hands of the Calverts.
He made loud protestations of his loyalty; but he had no influence at court; his friends were dead; and besides this, the royal memory was more tenacious than his own, and no attention was paid to his petition. He died shortly afterward on his estates in Virginia, leaving three sons and one daughter, from whom have descended numerous branches of the family in Maryland, Virginia, Mississippi, Missouri, and Louisiana, distinguished for ability. He has been unjustly called "Claiborne the Rebel," from a novel bearing that title, by W. H. Carpenter (Philadelphia, 1845).
Edited Appletons Encyclopedia by John Looby, Copyright © 2001 VirtualologyTM


8292. Major General Robert Overton

Serving as an officer under Cromwell during the Civil Wars, he was named governor of Hull, Edingurgh, and Aberdeen. After he could no longer be supportive of Cromwell and the King, Robert Overton was reduced in rank and was a political prisoner in the Tower of London and twice on the Isle of Jersey.


9468. Colonel William Randolph

Colonel William RANDOLPH was born on 7 Nov 1650 in Morton Hall, Morell, Warwickshire, England. He was christened on 7 Nov 1651 in Warwickshire, Morrell Parr., England. He died on 11 Apr 1711 in Turkey Island, Henrico, Virginia, USA. He was buried in Warwickshire, England.
William resided in "Turkey Island, " Va.
BIOGRAPHY: Col. of Turkey Island, on the James River a member of the VA House of Burgesses, and the Governor's Council "immigrant ancestor of prominent family" - Colonial Virginia, index.
Children- - Elizabeth Randolph - Isham Randolph - William Randolph Jr. - Thomas Randolph-
Richard Randolph (2) - Mary Randolph - John Randolph
HISTORY: Col. William Randolph (1651-1711), North American planter and Colonial official, born Warwickshire, England, first of a notable family, bought Turkey Island on the James River in 1684, and acquired other vast tracts and imported many slaves.
MISC_NOTES: AFN:9RNB-TM
SOURCES: Clinton R. Haggard (http://haggard.surnames.com) says the death date should be 21 Apr 1711. He also says the birth should be Morton Hall.
William married Mary ISHAM on 13 Nov 1678 in Henrico, Virginia, USA. Mary was born in 1653 in Bermuda Hundred, Henrico, Virginia, USA. She died on 25 Dec 1735 in Turkey Island, Henrico, Virginia, USA.
BIOGRAPHY: She lived on Turkey Island, Henrico, Virginia.
MISC_NOTES: Some say she died on the 29th of December and was born in 1660. glf
William and Mary had the following children:
+ 2 F i. Elizabeth RANDOLPH was born in 1680. She died on 22 Jan 1720.
+ 3 M ii. Colonel William RANDOLPH Jr was born on 6 Nov 1681. He died on 19 Oct 1742.
+ 4 M iii. Colonel Thomas RANDOLPH was born on 6 Jun 1683. He died in 1729.
5 M iv. Thomas RANDOLPH was born in Jul 1683 in England. He died in 1729.
+ 6 M v. Colonel Isham RANDOLPH was born on 24 Feb 1685. He died on 2 Nov 1742.
7 M vi. Randolph ISHAM was born on 24 Feb 1685/1687 in Turkey Island, Henrico, Virginia, USA.
+ 8 M vii. Colonel Richard RANDOLPH Sr was born on 2 May 1686. He died on 17 Dec 1748.
9 M viii. Henry RANDOLPH was born in 1687 in Turkey Island, Henrico, Virginia, USA. He died in England.
MISC_NOTES: Clinton R. Haggard says Henry acquired Longfield, died single in England.
Henry married Elizabeth EPPES on 29 Mar 1714. Elizabeth was born in 1693 in Henrico Co, Virginia, USA.
+ 10 F ix. Mary Isham RANDOLPH was born about 1692. She died before 1789.
+ 11 M x. Sir John RANDOLPH was born on 20 Jul 1693. He died on 15 Mar 1737.
12 M xi. Henry RANDOLPH was born in 1698 in Turkey Island, Henrico, Virginia, USA. He died in 1798.
+ 13 M xii. Edward RANDOLPH was born in 1699.

Fom the National Society of Dames and Barons of Magna Charta:

Immigrant Ancestor Page for William Randolph
List of Surety Baron Ancestors:
ROGER BIGOD <../../Barons/Barons/baron_roger_bigod.htm>: Earl of Norfolk HUGH BIGOD <../../Barons/Barons/baron_hugh_bigod.htm>: The Earl of Norfolk's heir HENRY DE BOHUN <../../Barons/Barons/baron_henry_de_bohun.htm>: Earl of Hereford RICHARD DE CLARE <../../Barons/Barons/baron_richard_de_clare.htm>: Earl of Hertford GILBERT DE CLARE <../../Barons/Barons/baron_gilbert_de_clare.htm>: The Earl of Hertford's heir JOHN FITZROBERT <../../Barons/Barons/baron_john_fitzrobert.htm>: Lord of Warkworth Castle, Northumberland JOHN DE LACIE <../../Barons/Barons/baron_john_de_lacie.htm>: Lord of Halton Castle, Cheshire WILLIAM DE MOWBRAY <../../Barons/Barons/baron_william_de_mowbray.htm>: Lord of Axholme Castle, Lincolnshire SAIRE DE QUINCEY <../../Barons/Barons/baron_saire_de_quincey.htm>: Earl of Winchester ROBERT DE VERE <../../Barons/Barons/baron_robert_de_vere.htm>: Earl of Oxford


10096. Colonel Francis Epes

Tradition says Francis Epes came to Virginia in the ship "Hopewell", which name he gave to his plantation on the south bank of the James River. Francis was at first an Ensign, then Captain, and later Lieutenant-Colonel of Militia. Shirley's Hundred Island is now called Eppes Island. He is listed among the Jamestown Colony individuals.
Francis apparently arrived in Virginia in 1617 according to a book "Virginia Plantations" in which he was referred to as a wealthy English businessman.

A 1993 letter from the Director of the British Society of Genealogists to my Aunt Adelia Stewart Sallee, indiates Francis Epps did not marry in England. Since Francis was only in England and Jamestown, he must have married Maria Paulett in Jamestown. In 1676, Nathaniel Bacon leader of a Rebellion in Jamestown, burned the Statehouse including all legal papers such as deeds, marriage records, etc. When the Statehouse was rebuilt, deeds were re-recorded, but other legal papers were not. Records of the marriage of Francis Epps and Maria Paulet would have been destroyed and never re-recorded.

In April 1625, he was elected from Shirley Hundred to sit in the assembly at James City on May 10, 1625. He was appointed Commissioner for the Upper Parts of the Colony 8 Aug. 1626, and commander of forces with his father-in-law Captain Thomas Pawlett to attack the Weyanoke and Appomattox Indians, 4 July 1627, He was also a member of the Assembly of March 1627/28, by which time he was a Captain. In 1625, Francis Epes signed the "Petition of the Governor, Council, and Colony of Virginia, assembled toghther -- to the King."
On 26 August, 1635 James I, King of England, granted him 1700 acres in Charles City County (Prince Charles) on Appomattox River. He built a manor known as Eppington and his estate was called Hopewell. A descendant later razed Eppington Manor and replaced it with Appomattox Manor. A portion of this tract owned by the Epes family of "Appomattox Manor" remained in the family until 1978 and was acquired by the National Park Service in 1979.
(Appomattox Manor was reputed to be the oldest plantation still in the hands of descendants of the original owner. Appomattox Manor is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is a Virginia Historic Landmark, and is included in the City Point Unit of the Petersburg National Battlefield and is open for visitors. Appomattox Manor was the place where General Lee surrendered to General Grant to end the Civil War.)
Francis Epes was a member, 1631/2, of the House of Burgesses for Shirley Hundred. Francis Epes again served in the House of Burgesses for Charles City 1639/40 and 1645/46. As early as June 1637 he was recommended for appointment as a member of the Council of Virginia, although it was some time before he was actually appointed to that position. In April 1652 Captain Francis Epes was named to the Council of State and soon advanced to Colonel.
No records prove conclusivley that Francis ever returned to England, but the large number of immigrants and headrights transported by him to Virginia were probably sent under his personal supervision. The death of his father in 1627 necessitated that he return to England temporarily. He probably returned to England with his wife and two sons, for on 8 Sept 1630 "Thomas, son of Francis Eps amd Marie was born in London."
He consolidated his land 4 Oct. 1668 in a patent for 1980 acres. He also held land on Shirley Hundred Island, now Eppes Island, in 1644 according to two patents to others.

In January 1843/44, Captain Thomas Pawlett wrote his will naming Francis Eppes as one of the overseers of the will and leaving him his drum, and gave Marie Epps his Bible and 20 shillings to buy a mourning ring in his memory. Family Bibles were giiven to the next of kin, thus further proof that Maria Epps was a daughter of Thomas Paulet.

For more intersting details of his life, see "Ancestors and Descendants of Francis Epes I of Virginia, Vol I."
Epps was a dorect descemdant of William de Huntingfield, Baron and Magna Charta Surety, Governor or Sauvey Castle.
Was also a direct ancestor of Martha Eppes Wayles Skelton, wife of President Thomas Jefferson.

Listed as a Qualifying Ancestor for the Jamestowm Society.

[Comment: Francis Epes’ original grant of 1700 acres was the present site of the city of Hopewell, Virginia, formerly called City Point, and now in Prince George County.]
[Comment: Sandra Ellerbe Krutilek of Pacific Palisades, California, provided the following information regarding the Epes’ family home: "He called his plantation Hopewell Farm and his home Eppington. It was later rebuilt by the Epes family and renamed Appomattox Manor. Thomas Jefferson’s daughter Maria married Epes’ great grandson and lived in the manor house for several years before she died at age twenty-five. It is now on the ‘Petersburg Battlefield’ at Hopewell, Va."]


10097. Marie Paulett

A 1993 letter from the Director of the British Society of Genealogists to my Aunt Adelia Stewart SAllee, indiates Francis Epps did not marry in England. Since Francis was only in England and Jamestown, he must have married Maria Paulett in Jamestown. In 1676, Nathaniel Bacon leader of a Rebellion in Jamestown, burned the Statehouse including all legal papers such as deeds, marriage records, etc. When the Statehouse was rebuilt, deeds were re-recorded, but other legal papers were not. Records of the marriage of Francis Epps and Maria Paulet would have been destroyed and never re-recorded.

There is no record of Francis Eppes in Virginia between 7 March 1628/9 and February 1631/2. He probably returned to England with his wife and two sons, for on 8 September 1630, "Thomas, son of Francis Eps and Marie was born" in London. One may assume that Thomas was named after his grandfather Thomas Pawlet.

In January 1843/44, Captain Thomas Pawlett wrote his will. He left his daughter Marie Eppes, wife of Francis Eppes, his Bible and 20 schillings to buy a mourning ring in his memory. Family Bibles were typically given to one's son or daughter because the Bible had the family lineage in it. He left his drum to Francis Eppes and made him the administrator of his will. Thomas Paulet's will is in "Byrd's Book of Title and Deeds, MS," which is in now in the holdings of the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, VA.


10098. Humphrey Kent

On March 18, 1607, was admitted to Christ's Hospital (School), London, from the Parish of St. Sepulchre and on Oct. 17, 1617 was dismissed to go to his mother in Virginia. The identity of his mother, who presumably had remarried and was in Virginia with a second husband, has not been established.
Came to Virginia in 1619 aboard the "George," the ship carrying the official party of the new Governor, Sir George Yeardley.


10099. Joane

Came to Virginia on the "Tyger" in 1621. In Jan. 1624/25, the couple was living at Peirsey's Hundred on the south side of the James River.


10108. Arthur H, Jordan

ARTHUR JORDAN 1629 - 1698 Arthur Jordan was born in Herefordshire, England in 1629, d. 1698, md in 1654 to Elizabeth Bavin, daughter of Richard and Mary Bavin, or widow of Richard Bavin, Jr. Richard Bavin died in 1653. There {are} conflicting views on who Elizabeth Bavin was. There is a marriage contract between Arthur Jordan and Elizabeth Bavin in Southward {? s/b Southwark ?} Parish, Surry County, Virginia. On 11 March 1752, John Blackborne patented 100 acres next to Arthur Jordan for the transport of himself and Mary Bavin. On 12 Apr 1654, Arthur Jordan recorded a statement in Surry County declaring, "whereas there is a marriage to be made and consumated between Arthur Jordan and Elizabeth Barwinn (aka Bavin), both of the parish of Southwark in ye County of Surry . . ." This was essentially a pre-marriage agreement concerning Mrs. Bavin's property. [DB 1, pp 149] In 1663, Arthur Jordan and William Norwood defined the Spring Swamp boundary with reference to Blackborne's and Richard Bavin's land. Arthur Jordan's first recorded patents for Surry land do not appear until 1681 (150 acres) and 1684 (250 acres). But it is clear that Arthur Jordan had previously gained substantial holdings. In 1655, he was mentioned as a Southwark planter and guardian to Elizabeth Hutton, whose lands he cared for. In 1662, William Jennings, who was at odds with the Jordans for years, protested Arthur Jordan's possession of a patent he himself claimed. The will of Arthur Jordan, dated 24 Sep 1698, probated 3 Jan 1698/9 was witnessed by Nathaniel Harrison, Walter Flood and Thomas Flood. Arthur Jordan left legacies to his son GEORGE JORDAN, II (ancestor), his son River Jordan, and son and daughter Washington, and granddaughter Elizabeth Jordan and grandson Arthur Washington. [DB 4, pp 160] In this will, Arthur Jordan left all his lands in Surry to George Jordan, II, as well as "other estate in Virginia and elsewhere" to George and River, to be equally divided." This land lay east of Sunken Meadow, south of, but extending into, Flood's land, and running east toward Wareneck along the Spring Run, or northern branch, of Gray's Creek. On 4 Jul 1699, the inventory and appraisement of the estate of Arthur Jordan was recorded. River Jordan was the executor. [DB 4, pp 169] The children of Arthur and Mary {? Elizabeth ?} (Bavin) Jordan were: 1. Thomas Jordan (1655-1685) md 1) Jane Browne Spencer who was the widow of Robert Spencer; md 2) Lucy Corker (1658-1684). 2. GEORGE JORDAN, II (1657-1718) md) MARY BROWNE. Ancestor. See later. 3. James Jordan (1659-1697) md) Ann Rawlings and the widow, Mrs. Ann Sowerby. 4. River Jordan married Priscilla Browne, daughter of Col. William Browne
5. Elizabeth Jordan (ca 1663-1735) married in 1682 Richard Washington, son of John and Mary (Flood) Washington. They had 12 children. Their fourth child, Elizabeth was born in 1689 and later married Sampson Lanier. This family became the source of the Lanier and Harris families of Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee.
Arthur was the brother of Col. George Jordan, Atty. General of Virginia, 1670.
The Daughters of Colonial Dames accept Eppes, Anderson, Jordan


10110. Major William Browne,Sr.

He had come to Virginia in 1637 as a Headright of Thomas Gray, who patented 100 acres in James City County in 1643 on the east side of Gray's Creek, adjoining his own land, for the transportation of two persons: George Graves and William Browne]."
William Browne, Sr., is mentioned as Colonel Browne of "FOUR MILE TREE", which was the name of the original holdings of his father in-law Colonel Henry Browne. These Browne holdings adjoined the land of Daniel Eppes, father of Edward Eppes.

William Browne represented Surry in the House of Burgesses (1660-62, 1677-79, 1682) and served as county justice (1668-1705). William Browne was a justice of the Surry County, VA court from 1668 to 1705. He was county sherrif in 1674 and 1687 and a Burgess of the County in 1676-77, 1679, 1681-82. He was Lt. Col. of Militia 1679-87.

William married second Elizabeth ( --) Meriwether, widow of Nicholas Meriwether (- 19 Dec. 1678).


11328. John, Jr. Washburn

Arrived in Plymouth with his mother and brother Philip in 1639 on the ship "Elizabeth and Anne." Made a freeman on 6 June 1654 and became a Constable of Duxbury 7 June 1659.


11330. Robert Latham

1. Robert LATHAM was born about 1623 in Lancaster, England. He died on Feb 28 1688 in E. Bridgewater, Massachusetts. He was buried in E. Bridgewater, Massachusetts.. "The earliest known English ancestor, Sir Oskateel Latham of Artbury, England, in the reign of Edward 1. Cary, at Cambridge, MA, before 1639, removed to New London, CT. Robert, brother of the preceding, was at Cambridge, MA; removed to Marshfield, MA in 1643; and in 1649 to Plymouth, MA. William, came as a youth and a servant of Govenor Carver, in the Mayflower. William was at Duxbury, MA 1637-39; at Marshfield, MA 1643-1648; when he returned to England, then to the Bahamas, where he died of starvation." The above information was taken from the "Directory of the Ancestral Heads of new England families 1620 - 1700" compiled by Frank R. Holmes pub. 1984 page cxiv. Robert of East Bridgewater, Mass., perhaps br. of Cary, lived two yrs. or more with Rev. Thomas Shepard, removed to Marshfield, Ma. where he was constable 1643, thence to Plymouth, where he married Susanna, dau. of John Winslow, brother of Gov. Edward Winslow, and daughter of the famous Mary Chilton, the first female to land at Plymouth on the Mayflower in 1620. They had Mercy, June 2, 1650. Before 1667 moved to Bridgewater, Ma. and had the rest of the children. He was the fourth settler of E.Bridgewater. Robert lived with the Rev. Thomas Shepard family in Cambridge, around 1640 or 1641, then moved to Marshfield in 1643 and became constable. From Marshfield he moved to Plymouth where he married Susanna. Robert and his family then moved to East Bridgewater before 1667 and then to Bridgewater, where he was a surveyor in 1671, and constable in 1674. (from "The Pilgrims of Massachusetts" -- Robert Latham when in Marshfield, Propr. 1650, punished for causing the death of his servant, John Walker in Jan 1654-5. In 1657, he became a Freeman and took the oath of fidelity in Marshfield. The ultimate of political participation and power was the individual Freeman. This was a formal status for which all adult householders might directly apply, approval being based on general consideration of character and competence. Unlike the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Plymouth set no specific requirements in terms of church membership. Initially, the Freemen themselves composed the General Court, which enacted all necessary, "laws and ordinances, " voted rates (taxes) and, after 1640 supervised the distribution of lands. Robert and his family then moved to East Bridgewater before 1667 and then to Bridgewater, where he was surveyer in 1671 and constable in 1674. On April 9, 1676, during "Phillip's War", Robert's dwelling house and barn, directly south of the herring weir, were completely burned by Indians, and he also lost considerable lumber at his mill on the satucket. He and his family had moved from his dwelling a few days before. A Bi-Centennial project is the reconstruction of the saw mill which Robert built on the Satucket River, and which the Indians destroyed along with his stock of lumber during King Phillips War. Robert built a dam and used water power to operate the mill. It was a so-called whip saw or up and down mill. (circular saws were not developed until about 1825.)